The Test & Feedback extension is designed to increases collaboration and efficiency of app development projects. It allows teams to test web apps and provide feedback, directly from the browser. From personal experience, Test & Feedback is probably the most efficient tool I have used for web testing and bug reporting. It allows you to effectively capture and record user actions whilst gathering enough background data, such as page load response, for a developer to make their necessary assessments.
It allows the tester to effectively record bugs or exploratory test cases that integrate directly into VSTS, saving you time and manual effort. Now team members will be able to apply quality exploratory testing methods in 3 easy steps – capture, create & collaborate.
This feature allows you to capture your findings with screen shots, notes and recordings then edit and annotate them for quick understanding. It automatically includes rich data like user actions (as an image action log), page load data, and system information.
Once the issues have been captured, you can then create bugs, tasks and test case to send to the team for feedback.
Ex: creating a bug:
Upon saving, Test & Feedback creates a new bug work item within your backlog with the repro steps and system information pre-populated.
Ex: creating a test case:
Upon saving, Test & Feedback creates a new Test Case work item with the execution steps and screenshots pre-populated.
Share your findings with the team by exporting your session or collect team feedback by using the ‘Request feedback’ feature. There is also the capability to track feedback flow from all the different stakeholders. Enabling the team to review and action all the feedback requests received.
Test and Feedback is a great testing solution. Everyone in the team can use this extension to increase productivity, communication and improve the outcome of the web app project.
- This extension is supported on platforms for Windows, Mac, or Linux.
- This extension is for web browsers and is available for Google, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- Free in Connected mode. Users must have Visual Studio Team Services or Team Foundation Server to use all the features.
- Free in Standalone mode. No connection to Visual Studio Team Services or Team Foundation Server required. Limited features.
- This extension allows a user to capture screenshots or video recording of actions performed.
WHAT IS VSTS
Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) is an integrated and collaborative cloud services. It is designed for developers by Microsoft and is an extension of the Microsoft Visual Studio. VSTS features are accessed through your web browser or IDE client, they support Git, include continuous integration, and Agile tools for planning and tracking work.
HOW TO INSTALL:
- Click on https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions link.
- You will be taken to Google Chrome web store in a new tab.
- Follow the steps from Chrome web store to install the extension.
- Click on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/test-feedback/ link.
- Save the file to a local folder.
- Open an instance of Mozilla Firefox browser, and then drag-n-drop the downloaded file on any tab in Firefox browser.
- Follow the steps from Firefox to install the add-on.
HOW TO CONNECT TO YOUR VSTS PROJECT
- If you want to use VSTS, and you haven’t already done so, sign up for a VSTS account. https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/. Make sure you create a team project when you create your account.
- If you haven’t already, install the Test and Feedback extension.
- Open the extension in your web browser and select Connected
- Enter the URL of the VSTS account or TFS you want to connect to and choose Next.
- If you are connecting for the first time, you may be prompted to sign in.
- After connecting to the server, the extension shows all the collections, projects and teams in that server. Select the project or team you want to connect to and choose Save.
HOW TO LOG IN TO YOUR VSTS PROJECT AND LOCATE THE NEWLY ADDED ITEM
- When you create a new item using Test & Feedback, upon saving a new browser window will open with the item loaded.
- Depending on your project settings, the item will be saved by default within your current iteration path.
- Navigate to your VSTS project URL: ex. https://project.visualstudio.com.
- Select your desired project from the list.
- To find a newly created bug/task: hover over “Work” on the navigation menu and select “Backlogs” from the dropdown. Search for your item from the available list.
- To find a newly created test case: hover over “Test” on the navigation menu and select “Test Cases” from the dropdown. Search for your test case from the available list.
AUTHOR: Kyle Scotson, Lead QA Analyst for SMEx Digital
FIELD OF EXPERTISE:
Full system development lifecycle experience, including designing, developing and implementing test plans, test cases and test processes.
- Regression & Negative Testing
- UI & Compatibility Testing
- Data Interface & Migration Testing
- Testing Automation
- Defect/Bug Tracking
- Test Strategies & Coverages
- Desktop and Web application testing